Written by Sharangee Dutta | Edited by Chandrashekar Srinivasan, New Delhi
One person died and as many as six others were left injured after two earthquakes hit southwestern China’s Sichuan province on Wednesday, state broadcaster CCTV reported.
The quakes hit the province at around 5pm local time, AFP reported citing China’s earthquake agency, which added that rescue efforts are currently underway.
Furthermore, houses were damaged and rail services were partially suspended following the earthquakes, The Associated Press reported citing authorities.
The Sichuan fire department said that more than 1,400 rescuers have been deployed in the region. The Southwest Railway Authority said some sections of track had been shut down, causing delays to passenger trains.
Citing the China Earthquake Networks Center, state news agency Xinhua reported that the epicentre was at a depth of 17 kilometres. The US Geological Survey said that the quake registered a magnitude of 5.9 and was more shallow, occurring at a depth of 10 kilometres (6.2 miles).
Last year in September, as many as three people were killed and dozens other injured after a shallow earthquake hit Sichuan province – a quake prone region, damaging tens of thousands of houses.
China’s deadliest earthquakes in recent years happened in 2008 at a magnitude of 7.9 that claimed the lives of nearly 90,000 people, including thousands of children, in Sichuan province.
(With inputs from AFP, AP)
-

Israel laser shield – to protect from missiles – costs just $2 per interception
“This is a game-changer, not just because we are striking at the enemy military, but also because we are bankrupting it,” Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said during a visit to Iron Beam system’s state-owned manufacturer, Rafael Advanced Defense Systems. He has predicted the system to enter service by early 2023.
-
-

Nepal plane crash: 21 bodies retrieved from site, says civil aviation authority
The Nepal Civil Aviation Authority on Monday said 21 bodies were recovered from the wreckage of the Tara Air flight which crashed in Mustang district on Sunday, ANI reported. It lost contact with the air traffic control after 12 minutes. According to the Aviation Safety Network website, the aircraft was made by Canada’s de Havilland and made its first flight more than 40 years ago, AFP reported.
-
Mona Lisa left unharmed but smeared in cream in climate protest stunt
The Mona Lisa was left shaken but unharmed on Sunday when a visitor to the Louvre tried to smash the glass protecting the world’s most famous painting before smearing cream across its surface in an apparent climate-related publicity stunt. The perpetrator was a man disguised as an old lady who jumped out of a wheelchair before attacking the glass. The Louvre was not immediately available for comment.
-

Setback for China as security and economic deal with Pacific islands falls through
China and a cluster of Pacific island countries failed to reach a consensus on an overarching security and economic deal on Monday in what appears to be a setback to Beijing’s expanding ambitions in the South Pacific region. “China’s plan to sign a sweeping trade and security deal with ten Pacific Island countries was dealt a setback as some of them expressed concern about specific elements in the proposal,” Australia’s ABC News reported.