Queen Elizabeth offers ‘thanks’ ahead of Platinum Jubilee celebrations | World News

The 96-year-old marked seven decades as British monarch in February, and four days of events, parties and parades to honour her record-breaking reign begin on Thursday.

Queen Elizabeth said on Wednesday she had been inspired by the outpouring of goodwill ahead of celebrations to mark her Platinum Jubilee, saying she hoped the festivities would provide a chance to look back on the achievements of the last 70 years.

The 96-year-old marked seven decades as British monarch in February, and four days of events, parties and parades to honour her record-breaking reign begin on Thursday.

Also read: Passions: The Queen and us

“Thank you to everyone who has been involved in convening communities, families, neighbours and friends to mark my Platinum Jubilee, in the United Kingdom and across the Commonwealth. I know that many happy memories will be created at these festive occasions,” she said.

“I continue to be inspired by the goodwill shown to me, and hope that the coming days will provide an opportunity to reflect on all that has been achieved during the last seventy years, as we look to the future with confidence and enthusiasm.”

Also read: Australian grandmother hopes Queen Elizabeth has ‘jubilee to remember’

To mark the start of the Jubilee events, Buckingham Palace released a new portrait photograph of the smiling queen, taken by a window in the Victoria Vestibule, part of the private apartments at her Windsor Castle home to the west of London where she now spends most of her time.


Close Story

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads



  • The China Earthquake Networks Center said the first quake, in Ya'an's Lushan county, struck at a depth of 17 kilometres at about 5pm local time.

    Four killed, 14 injured as quakes hit southwest China

    A shallow 6.1-magnitude quake hit a sparsely populated area in Sichuan province about 100 kilometres (60 miles) west of provincial capital Chengdu, broadcaster CCTV said. It was followed three minutes later by a second quake of magnitude 4.5 in a nearby county where the deaths and injuries occurred, according to CCTV. Footage obtained by the broadcaster showed dozens of schoolchildren screaming and ducking under desks as their building started to shake, before dashing out of the classroom with arms over their heads.


  • Houses were damaged and rail services were partially suspended following the earthquakes in China's Sichaun province.


  • Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, Pool)

    Israel laser shield – to protect from missiles – costs just $2 per interception

    “This is a game-changer, not just because we are striking at the enemy military, but also because we are bankrupting it,” Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said during a visit to Iron Beam system’s state-owned manufacturer, Rafael Advanced Defense Systems. He has predicted the system to enter service by early 2023.


  • Frederic Leclerc-Imhoff was in Ukraine to show the reality of war, President Emmanuel Macron tweeted.


  • The wreckage of the crashed Tara Air aircraft located at Sanosware, Thasang-2, Mustang

    Nepal plane crash: 21 bodies retrieved from site, says civil aviation authority

    The Nepal Civil Aviation Authority on Monday said 21 bodies were recovered from the wreckage of the Tara Air flight which crashed in Mustang district on Sunday, ANI reported. It lost contact with the air traffic control after 12 minutes. According to the Aviation Safety Network website, the aircraft was made by Canada’s de Havilland and made its first flight more than 40 years ago, AFP reported.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *